We all carry extra weight. Some of our extra weight is emotional, some is psychological, and some, like mine, and maybe yours is quite literally EXTRA POUNDS of fat and other unmentionables. I carry all of them and I am working on all of them but it has been my weight loss which I have made public and which has gotten attention from friends and family who want to know how I am doing this. Well… here’s how:
I am sorry to say that there is no secret pill, drink, powder, massage or quick-fix to weight loss. Believe me, I checked. I have done all kinds of fad diets and cleanses that help me drop 10 lbs only to see them back with more a few weeks later. So, NO! there is no secret; which means that virtually anybody can do this.
This is what has worked for me:
- Knowledge Is Power: I went to the doctor to know where I was health-wise. I was diagnosed pre-diabetic in 2011 but was told that if I took weight loss seriously it could be reversed. So I am working on that. My best secret weapon has been learning to read nutritional labels.
- Keep a food diary: I keep track of everything I eat, EVERYTHING, even the cheats.
- Set realistic goals: You can check mine on The Goals page.
- Find YOUR exercise: My exercise of choice is ZUMBA. For 55 minutes I forget everything and just concentrate on the steps and the music. I also added elliptical and swimming after two months and weight training around month 5.
- Supplements: I take a multivitamin, B Complex, Calcium, Magnesium, and Zinc, and Omega 3. I’ll soon write a post on what those things do. Talk to your doctor or nutritionist if you have questions.
- Low-Fat: I hate counting calories, like with a passion, so I figured that if I just had really good and healthy food I didn’t have to count anything. Overall, I follow a low-fat diet that includes only olive oil for cooking, no sugar, lactose-free fat-free milk, fat-free or low-fat cheeses, turkey ham, white meats (fish and chicken mostly), lots of fruits and vegetables, nuts, and beans.
- Don’t diet when eating out: Yeah, you read that right. I eat out only once a week or less and when I do I eat whatever I want, no substitutions. I just eat. I keep really healthy food at home but when I am out it’s all fair game as far as I am concerned.
OK… so now you know. In the coming days I will expand on each of these points and keep track of my weight loss. Got questions? Drop me a line, tweet, facebook me, smoke signal me, you get the idea. Be well.