Today’s FMS Photo A Day is Snack… having to photograph my snack made me think twice about what I wanted to have. If I’m going to advertise my food choices they better be super healthy or insanely sinful, otherwise, it’s a waste of a picture, don’t you think? Anyhow, I went with super healthy and had some berries with cold green tea. It was great.
Mmmmm… what can I say about snacks
I snack pretty much everyday. Usually only once a day, mid afternoon but if I have breakfast unsually early then I’ll probably nibble on something before lunch. I used to be a vending machine addict. There’s pretty much nothing worth eating from a vending machine but in a pinch check out this guide. PS. I love Eat This, Not That… all their books/guides are pretty helpful. Needless to say, I rarely eat anything out of a vending machine. And my snacking habits have changed a lot in the last nine months.
Here are my tips to snacking:
- Stay as far away from processed foods as you can.
- Drink tea, not soda. I usually have green tea along with my snack.
- Make healthy versions of your favorite sweet breads and/or muffins. I make this already healthy pear-banana bread with half the sugar (I only add the brown sugar), whole wheat flour and nuts… delish.
- Nuts? Forget the party mix and get unsalted.
- Chocolate? Dark (at least 70%, fair trade, and organic)
- Mix it up: apple and almond butter, carrots and hummus (homemade) or guacamole, cheese and fruit, you get the idea.
Now, I don’t want to mislead you into thinking that I always snack this well. I don’t. Traveling is the most dangerous thing for me. Stopping at a gas station makes me crave my favorite processed snacks: pringles and hershey’s almond chocolate (eaten together). It is really hard to resist so I have to make an extra effort to pack my own snacks for the road. Sometimes I do really well, other times not so much. I keep trying though.
You’re turn, what’s your favorite healthy and/or sinful snack?