During my 2½ hour drive back from Savannah, GA. I kept making an effort to secure the greatest moments I had at Fitbloggin ’14, my first of hopefully many Fitbloggin conferences. As a newbie at both the conference and the blogging world I was starstruck left and right as I met (or just saw as I was sometimes too shy to talk) many of the amazing people I follow online. Fitbloggin’s mission is “to bring together the community of health-conscious bloggers for education, networking and friendship.” And they do a fantastic job at that. The entire event was filled with hugs, laughter, and plenty of ERMAHGERD! I have learned so much in the last three days and I can’t wait to share it with you in the following weeks but if you don’t want to wait (and you shouldn’t) head to fitbloggin and check out their live blog posts on all the amazing sessions… there is so much to learn.
- I made a friend literally three minutes upon arrival. I met Sarah from Born2lbFat at the “make your own name tag” table. We had both arrived late on Thursday and were both in need of dinner. It wasn’t after half-way through dinner that I realized that I knew who she was… this girl is amazing. She blogs about living with lipedema and lymphedema and is involved with the Obesity Action Coalition which I have now learned so much about and I am now looking at ways to get involved myself.
- The swag (this picture is just the beginning). The sponsors were amazing providing all kinds of samples and opportunities to win awesome gifts and work with the brand. As someone who’s not really sure which way this blog is going ad-wise, I didn’t really talk business with anyone but did give credit where it was due sharing pictures and tweets about all the fabulous things I got to try… and keep:
- California Almonds set up a snack bar for us to make our own mix of almonds and other goodies for a quick pick-me-up between sessions. I discovered balsamic-herb almonds and could not get enough of them! They were simply amazing. Ninja also kept us well nourished with awesome fruit drinks as did California Avocados who showed me the way to butter-less baking.
- Walgreens was there doing free health screenings. I was happy to find my cholesterol nearly at normal level at 202 (normal is under 200), my blood pressure doing pretty well, my glucose levels, visceral fat, and skeletal muscle all on target. As I already knew, my BMI is high as is my body fat percentage. My resting metabolism is at 1481 cal (not bad) but my body age is still terrible… according to Walgreens’ machines my body is nearly 25 years older than it should be >.< There is still a lot of work to do but I was happy to know that I am doing much better than a year ago. I got a coupon to get fitbit and I think I’m gonna use it. I am also excited that I did a little video bit for walgreens on what I do to live a healthy life… I picked healthy eating and did a 10-sec bit. Can’t wait to see it.
- There were many other sponsors… all amazing… and super warm and welcoming. I thank them all.
- Savannah, GA. What an amazing town (small city?). The conference was on the Hyatt right on River Street so the walks behind the hotel were pretty amazing. Savannah is also one of the oldest cities in the US and the oldest one in Georgia, established in 1733. It’s filled with old architecture and ghost stories, great food, great energy, and great people. I can’t wait to return.
- The Bloggers – of course the amazing bloggers that I got to meet and learn so much from. They will be showing up on future blogposts but I just had to say THEY WERE AWESOME!
What else can I say? I had an awesome week. I probably gained weight since I ate a lot between the amazing meals at the conference, the sponsors snacks and samples, and the amazing food Savannah has to offer… I am sure I gained. But that’s OK. I also learned a ton of tips on eating and snacking and exercising that I can’t wait to start… tomorrow (Oh, Monday… you are useful after all). Exercise-wise I worked out with Ashley Borden. We did lots of core work and my plank is getting better every day 🙂 I did zumba with the amazing people from Trio Fitness, I did my Week 3 Day 2 of Couch to 5K program this morning during Fitbloggin’s goodbye race, and I walked quite a bit through Savannah. I had also done pretty well the entire week so feeling good about that.
Weekly Words of Wisdom (as heard at Fitbloggin)
— Toni Reyes (@TheExtraPounds) June 27, 2014
Tomorrow is Foodie Penpal reveal day… you won’t want to miss it 🙂